Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Last Day in Praha, Czech Republic

The second day was more relaxed, but we still did a lot of walking. We crossed over to Old Town and walked along the Vltava River, which is the longest river in Czech Republic. We made our way to a Church Nicolina had discovered on her own. There was this beautiful park and a view of Prague, the lesser known part. We walked along the sidewalk leading to the main view of Prague and in the distance you could see the Petrin Tower and Prague Castle. At this point, we were looking for some lunch so we went to this adorable market. Inside, they offered free samples of their olive oil accompanied with little pieces of bread. I definitely went for seconds, I only wanted to select what olive oil I liked the best... Afterwards, we walked toward Kampa Island, which had more swans and a beautiful view of Charles Bridge. We sat on a bench (mainly to rest our feet) but also to take in the beautiful sunny day. 

Vltava River 


Sitting on Kampa Island, Charles Bridge in the distance
We made our way over to Wenceslas Square, where I was in the mood for some tea. I tried a iced green tea with little slices of mango, thinking about it now makes me crave it, especially on this hot day in Madrid. Nicolina and I thought Wenceslas Square was Prague's equivalent of the Champs-Élysées in Paris. We poked our head into some tourists shops and eventually walked our way to the Astronomical Clock in Old Town Square. The Astronomical Clock is the third oldest in the world and the oldest one still working today. This specific weekend in Prague they were celebrating Carnival, as was the rest of Europe. There was small festivities in Old Town Square. Nicolina knew of a hotel where we could go to the top to see a view of the city so we went on a mad hunt. Eventually, we located it and just in time for the ringing of the clock. My favorite part was seeing everyone gathered in front of the clock to watch the little figurines move and ring their bells. At the end of the little display, a man at the top of the structure plays a trumpet medley. I swear he pointed at me across the way, I waved. 


Wenceslas Square


Astronomical Clock on Old Town City Hall 


Everyone gathered around the clock
Prague at my fingertips 
Nicolina and I walked towards the Jewish Quarter in Prague. I caught a glimpse of the Old Jewish Cemetery, as no one is allowed to go beyond the gates. The sun was beginning to set and we decided to get one last glimpse of Charles Bridge. Charles Bridge is closed off to cars, so it is where tourists and locals alike walk to reach both sides of the city. Along the bridge, there are street performers, venders selling paintings and jewelry. Our last stop was the Dancing House, that I had seen in passing because Nicolina lived right across the bridge from it. I really liked this building and Nicolina said she learned in her class that it represents the figures of the male and female dancing movements. Since I was a huge fan of Czech food, especially the potato pancakes, we decided to get dinner and call it a night. I tried the famous goulash and I am a fan. Overall, I could not be happier that I decided to visit Nicolina because it was very special exploring such a beautiful city with someone so close to home. I hope one day we can go back. 




My two favorites: Nicolina and food



xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment